Friday, June 8, 2012

Letter to My Son

I am coming for you.

I don’t yet know you. In fact I know very little about you. Just 3 things really:
1) You are alive at this very moment 
2) You are halfway around the world from me
3) You desperately need to be loved

My heart is breaking inside of my chest as I think about you, imagining where you are, what circumstances surround your life, what your name is, how old you are, if you are healthy or not.

And it seems like there is an infinite number of things that separate us. Not just the thousands of miles of oceans and war-torn countries that lie between us, but the tens of thousands of dollars it will take for us to be together and the seemingly endless parade of governments that demand to put their personal seal of approval on our family.

But none of that matters. I don’t care what stands between us, how big or insurmountable it may seem. I AM COMING FOR YOU and there is NOTHING, NOTHING, that will keep me from you.

You see, even though I do not know you, you are my son and I am your dad. And I love you so much, that I can’t really understand it. And as your Dad I am desparate for you to understand this overwhelming love that I have for you, a love that will always be there. And I am going to show you this love by breaking down every barrier that the world may put between us. I am going to do what does not make sense, I am going ask other people for money, I am going to prove and again and again to every government under the sun that I can and will take care of you, I am literally going to travel to the ends of the earth to find you. To pick you up into my arms and hold you and wash you with my tears as I completely swallow you up into my embrace.

And son, I don’t understand this love that burns inside of me when we have not even met yet, but I know where it comes form.

You see son, He came for me. I didn’t know Him and the chasm between Him and I makes all of things between you and me seem like nothing at all and yet He litterally moved heaven and earth ad everything in between to be with me. Me.

And son, He is doing the same for you right now. He has poured His love into me and He is opening every door and providing for every need so that I can pour my love into you and you can know what it means to feel the love of the Father.

I don’t know how much longer it will be until I reach, but I do know that I will not stop until I do and that once I find you I will spend the rest of my life loving you. I will not be able to give you His perfect, unyielding, never ending, always forever love (He will do that for you) but I am going to love you to the best of my ability with all of me.

I love you son and I cannot wait until you know it.

No comments: